When this post first went up in 2009, it was discovered by Sarah Ebner, then the editor of The Times UK’s education blog, School Gate. Her promotion drove up its stats, and it got shared around. Of note: Other than end-of-year roundups of favourite books and most-viewed posts, I have only done two “listicles” in this blog’s history – this one and the list of “10 Reasons I Hate Grading Your Assignment” – and both are in the top ten most viewed and most shared posts. I should probably learn something from this.
10 Best Excuses for Missing Class That My Students Have Actually Given Me, For Real
10. My mother made me give my dog away three days ago and I haven’t stopped crying since then.
9. While driving to school, I fell asleep at the wheel. I pulled over and napped instead of coming to class.
8. My boyfriend was stabbed at a club on Saturday. He’s okay, but I’m finding it hard to concentrate on school right now.
7. A drug lord burned our house down.
6. I had to go visit my brother in jail.
5. My little sister locked me in my closet.
4. My bank card was cloned by the corner store up the street. They wiped out my bank account and I didn’t even have money for subway fare.
3. My Ritalin stopped working. You really wouldn’t have wanted me to come to class.
2. I’ve never met my father. On Friday, I saw an obituary in the paper for my paternal grandfather’s funeral. I contacted my dad through the funeral home. Since then, my father’s entire extended family has been harassing me on Facebook demanding to meet me. I haven’t told my mother. I’m having a nervous breakdown.
1. I pulled my back reaching into the fridge for margarine.
Monday: Is the academic paper obsolete?
Image by Gesine Kuhlmann