Welcome to the Writing on Learning Exchange! Every week or two I will publish a prompt that is meant to get us thinking and writing about some aspect of our learning and/or teaching experience. Whether you are a teacher, a learner, a parent or just a citizen who cares about the growth and development of other citizens, I hope you will find some inspiration here.
- Respond to the prompt in whatever way you wish. It is meant to be a springboard, not a cage. If the question or topic makes you think about something that seems totally unrelated, follow that thought and see where it takes you. No wrong answers.
- You could write a post on your own blog, in which case I hope you will link back to the prompt post, and also leave a link to your response in the prompt post’s comments. (This is a great way to find some more readers – or maybe it will be the impetus you need to finally start that blog you’ve been sitting on?)
- You could just leave a comment responding to the prompt.
- Or you could write about the subject privately, for your own edification – if you do that, I hope you’ll at least leave a comment saying that you wrote about it, and telling us how the writing went.
- I hope you will have time to read and comment on some of the responses of others. However, if you just want to write a response and move on, or just use the prompt as a basis for your personal internal reflection, that is totally fine.
So here’s the first prompt: What are your first memories of going to school?
Some details to consider (or ignore, as you see fit):
- Where and when did you begin school? How old were you?
- Do you remember having any preconceptions about school before you began? Were there people around you (older siblings, older friends, adults…) who gave you information about school that shaped your impression of it before you started?
- What happened on your first day? What do you remember about the physical surroundings, the teachers, the other students, the activities?
- If you don’t remember the very first days of school, do you remember any particular school experiences from your very early school years?
Just grab your first thoughts and impressions and go – don’t overthink! And please share if you feel you can. I look forward to hearing how this goes for you.
Image by John Boyer